Site Meter

Friday 12 February 2010

Part 2 - Communicating with Internet technology

In this article we consider the whole issue of communication, from email to text, Twitter and Skype. This is an area that is fraught with real and deeply troubling dangers but, when used wisely, can bring about immense benefits to individuals and organizations.
Driving while intexticated…
In 2007 Brandi Terry, a 17-year old schoolgirl who lives in the US state of Utah, was on her way to visit her grandfather when she drove through a red light and crashed. In a radio interview [i] she recalls what happened: "I woke up to a bright light -- I could barely open my eyes -- and paramedics. This man was saying 'Brandi, Brandi,' and I just started crying. I didn't know what had happened". Terry had shattered her right ankle and broken her upper right arm in half. She couldn't walk for six months. When police checked her phone they discovered that she had sent a text within seconds of the accident. Even after recovery, she went on to say of her habit of texting while driving: "I tried really, really hard not to. Then it got to the point where I would do it only once every 5 minutes" she says. "I don't know -- it's just so addicting, I just can't put it down." So why did she do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment